Torre des Pi des Català Restoration
Studio: Marià Castelló
Authors: Marià Castelló
Location: Formentera, Spain
Video: Lena Vinyarskaya, Marià Castelló
General aspects: The ‘Pi des Català’ Tower is one of the four defensive towers on the coast of the island of Formentera. They were built between 1762 and 1763 and were used for defensive purposes and mainly for surveillance up to 1867.
In order to ensure the overall integrity of the monument, as well as its character and identity, the intervention completed in 2016 has been very selective and punctual, involving only the parts that put in danger the life of the building most of all. With this aim, the preference was given to the limited palette of original materials and chronological and constructive genuinity of implemtation. Taking advantage of the existing hole in the east zone of the ground floor, a door was installed there and allows this tower to be the only one on the whole island that can be entered by visitors.
Although most of the materials used in the restoration are very similar to the originals, their implementation has clearly demonstrated the chronological differences between the original substrate and the intervention process.
For carpentry and other protection elements that did not exist at the time of the original construction, other materials such as Corten steel have been used to emphasize even more its contemporary and probably ephemeral character.
Why did you choose this category?: Thanks to the intervention completed in 2016, a space of great patrimonial value for the general public has been recovered. Elementary school students, residents, tourists, athletes, etc … often find in this place a refuge from which to better understand where we come from and where we are going.