Studio: Conjuntos Empáticos
Authors: Sálvora Feliz + Laura Dominguez Valdivieso + Marta G Soler
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Video: Conjuntos Empáticos
General aspects: In order to activate this area, we sow a seed in the collective space with common elements. This is how we generate a fiction with the decontextualization of domestic objects and natural materials. We create new conditions to facilitate the appropriation of abandoned areas, allowing local people to rediscover places of their daily life and enjoy new activities in these zones.
Our intervention takes place in the whole area around the Trzonolinowiec building, working with different strategies to explore sensorial experiences and humanising oversized or non-organized collective spaces.
The project is a generator of new habits. The several strategies are unified with 3 colours as blue, pink and orange.
The strategies are:
1. Levelling the uneven and degraded floor with gravel and bark.
2. Creating an artificial steel rods forest for children.
3. An elevated topography of whisks with jingle bells inside to welcome the local people with a relaxing sound under the trees.
4. A net where plastic balls dangle with toys inside. This is a space to imagine a playhouse, an area with a transparent cover, where to live in a fairy tale.
5. Treatment of the lower wall of the building with artificial vegetation which demystifies and creates a more pleasant collective space.
6. An urban garden in the existing flower plots with tomatoes, beans, strawberries and flowers. In addition, some artificial flowers decorate the flower plots.
We prefer to speak about collective space as a concept rather than public space, because we believe in collective space as a meeting area, in opposition to the concept of the property of the space. Collective space can be private or public, and urban space can be used individually or as a group. These are the differences among the use, the property and management of collective space.
Why did you choose this category?: Collective Places.
This place was an abandoned area closely linked to Trzonolinowiec housing. Now it is a playground where children and older persons can play or grow strawberries. New places which help build community and public life.